A heartfelt thanks for signing the petition to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. The petition was signed by more than 10,000 supporters calling on the Prime Minister to refuse any request for Dr. Hassan Diab’s extradition. On July 27, 2023, the petition was delivered to the Prime Minister’s office in Ottawa, where supporters gathered demanding that the Canadian government protect Hassan.
The petition remains open for additional signatures.
On the same (July 27, 2023), the Hassan Diab Support Committee held a press conference in conjunction with delivering the petition. The press conference was moderated by Tim McSorley of the International Civil Liberties Monitoring Group (ICLMG). Opening statements were made by Hassan Diab, Alex Neve, Bernie Farber, and Rob Currie. Maeve McMahon and Roger Clark (members of the support committee) were available to answer questions.
• Press Conference for Hassan Diab
• Short CTV News video segment on Hassan Diab’s unending case
• Short video of the petition delivery action at the Prime Minister’s Office
• Photos from the petition delivery at the Prime Minister’s Office (Set 1)
• Photos from the petition delivery at the Prime Minister’s Office (Set 2)
Take Action in Support of Hassan Diab!
Dr. Hassan Diab is immensely grateful for all the support you have shown him over the years. Unfortunately, his situation continues to be extremely stressful, and the Canadian government has not indicated whether it has received a second extradition request from France–or what it will do if it does receive a request. More than four months have passed since April 21, 2023, when the French Court of Assize declared Hassan guilty, sentencing him to life in prison in a sham trial that relied on secret, unsourced intelligence (unacceptable in Canada) and ignored all exonerating evidence. Hassan remains in limbo, mentally tortured by the Canadian government’s silence.
Here are two actions you can take now:
1) Send a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau:
2) Sign the letter addressed to Heather McPherson, NDP Member of Parliament and Foreign Affairs Critic:
Podcast: “Beyond Kafkaesque”: Will Hassan Diab Receive Justice?
Listen to a 40-minute podcast, produced by David Palumbo-Liu and including Azeezah Kanji, Bernie Farber, Michelle Weinroth, and Hassan Diab.
Thank you for your continued support!