DON’T MISS A SNEAK PREVIEW OF THE SHORT DOCUMENTARY on Dr. HASSAN DIAB, directed by award-winning filmmaker Amar Wala.
|What:||Sneak preview of short documentary on Dr. Hassan Diab|
|Date:||Friday May 20, 2016|
|Time:||7:00 pm (Doors open at 6:45 pm)|
|Place:||First Unitarian Congregation of Ottawa, 30 Cleary Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario (off Richmond Road, one traffic light East of Woodroffe Avenue)|
Getting there: Take Bus #2 – Map
Please come out, watch the short documentary, and hear the latest updates from Hassan’s lawyer, Don Bayne. There will be plenty of time for Q&A.
- Guest Speaker: Don Bayne (Hassan’s lawyer)
- Hear Baraa Arar present some of her own powerful poems
- Hassan’s wife, Rania, and their two children will be happy to meet you!
There will be refreshments and yummy finger foods.
“We now have the classic recipe for the wrongful conviction of a Canadian citizen.” (Statement by Hassan’s lawyer, Don Bayne, on Hassan’s extradition)
Hassan Diab is the Carleton University professor who was extradited to France on November, 14, 2014 in connection with the 1980 Rue Copernic bombing. Hassan has been in prison near Paris for over 17 months.
The Canadian extradition judge described the evidence that the French authorities submitted as “very problematic” and “suspect”.
In an unprecedented move, the Canadian judge stated that “the prospects of conviction in the context of a fair trial seem unlikely”.
However the judge said that he felt obliged under Canada’s extradition law to commit Hassan to extradition.
Some links of interest:
- “Canada’s extradition law: A legal conundrum”, by Chris Cobb, Ottawa Citizen, November 2014
- “Civil society must prevent Hassan Diab’s wrongful conviction”, by Tyler Levitan, Al-Araby Al-Jadeed, May 2015
- “Canada must demand fair investigation by France in case of Hassan Diab”, by Gerald Caplan, Globe and Mail, November 2015
Hassan Diab Support Committee