May 5, 2018
Dear Friends and Supporters,
You may be aware of the recent CBC coverage of Dr. Hassan Diab’s ordeal and the role the Canadian Department of Justice played in facilitating his extradition to France. When the case against Hassan was falling apart, after the defense discredited the French handwriting analysis, Senior Department of Justice lawyers urged French authorities to produce “new” handwriting analysis. Justice Department lawyers also suppressed fingerprint evidence showing Hassan’s innocence.
We are gravely concerned about the problematic role that Department of Justice lawyers played in pushing for Hassan’s unjust extradition, and troubled by Canada’s deeply flawed extradition law that puts all Canadians at risk.
We urge you to join us in calling for an independent public inquiry into Hassan’s case and reforming Canada’s extradition law so that no other Canadian is subjected to such a flawed and unfair process. We do not have faith in an internal review by the Department of Justice which, in the first place, was responsible for Hassan’s ordeal.
Amnesty International Canada and the BC Civil Liberties Association sent an open letter to the Canadian Ministers of Justice and Foreign Affairs calling on them to launch a thorough public inquiry into Hassan’s case. Also, the Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT) called for an independent public inquiry into Hassan’s treatment. MP Murray Rankin, Vice-Chair of the Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights, raised Hassan’s case in Parliament and called for an independent public inquiry.
We ask you to add your voice by writing to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, calling upon him to launch a thorough, independent public inquiry into Hassan’s case. Please copy the Ministers of Justice and Foreign Affairs and your member of Parliament on your letter, and share your correspondence with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To: email@example.com
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cc: email@example.com
- Cc: Your Member of Parliament: http://www.ourcommons.ca/Parliamentarians/en/members
A sample letter is available:
Also, please post on social media and write articles and op-eds calling for a public inquiry.
Thank you for your ongoing support.
For More Information:
- “Canada helped France dig up evidence to extradite Ottawa man later freed on terror charges”, CBC News, May 1, 2018
- “Extradition could happen to anyone, says professor fighting for change in law”, CBC Radio – The Current, May 2, 2018 (Audio)
- “Canada’s role in innocent man’s imprisonment”, CBC The National, May 1, 2018 (Video)
- ‘What more can you lose?’ CBC News, May 1, 2018
- Amnesty/BCCLA letter, May 2, 2018
- CAUT letter, May 3, 2018
- MP Murray Rankin raising Hassan’s case in Parliament (Video)