June 22, 2021
Dear friends and supporters,
The unjust decision earlier this year by a French Court of Appeal to send Dr. Hassan Diab to trial prolongs a 13-year miscarriage of justice. The decision ignored overwhelming evidence of Hassan’s innocence, and engaged in contradictory reasoning and unfounded speculation. Even France’s own avocat général had asked the Cour de Cassation to quash the Court of Appeal decision due to its legal flaws. However, the Cour de Cassation upheld the Court of Appeal decision.
Hassan’s Kafkaesque nightmare highlights the human cost of unjust prosecution due to politics, aided and abetted by a Canadian extradition law deficient in human rights protections.
We need to exert pressure on the Canadian government to end Hassan Diab’s persecution and prevent a wrongful conviction!
We have an ongoing Parliamentary petition and letter-writing campaign. If you haven’t done so already, please to sign the petition below:
- https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-3400 (English)
- https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/fr/Petition/Details?Petition=e-3400 (French)
And please send a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. You may write your own letter, or send the online letter at:
- If you live in Canada: https://iclmg.ca/diab-letter
(a copy of the letter will be sent to your Member of Parliament)
- If you live outside Canada: https://iclmg.ca/diab-letter-intl
Thanks to everyone who already signed the Parliamentary petition and sent a letter to PM Trudeau!
Newest Statements by Organisations Supporting Hassan Diab
The list of civil society and human rights organisations standing in solidarity with Hassan Diab continues to grow. Organisations are urging the Canadian government to intervene, end Hassan’s Kafkaesque nightmare of injustice, and refuse a potential second extradition request from France. The latest statements are from the Canadian Association of University Teachers, the Canadian Labour Congress, and the European Group for the Study of Deviance and Social Control.
Thank You for a Successful Fundraising Campaign!
Our campaign to raise CAD $37,000 (or 25,000 Euros) to help cover legal fees in France has concluded. Between January 27 and June 10, 2021, we received CAD $38,037 in donations, which exceeded our goal!
We extend our sincerest thanks and gratitude to all those who donated. THANK YOU for your generosity and support. It means a lot to Hassan and his family. We greatly appreciate your support!
Recent Articles and Interviews
- “Canadian academic Hassan Diab ordered to stand trial in French terrorism case”, CBC News, May 19, 2021”
- CBC “All in a Day” interview with Don Bayne, Hassan Diab’s Canadian lawyer, May 19, 2021
- CBC “As It Happens” Interview with Alex Neve, former Secretary General of Amnesty International – Canada, May 19, 2021 (starts at 36:36)
- “Our extradition system is broken, and Hassan Diab is paying with his life”, by Samantha Ponting, ricochet media, May 19, 2021
- “Hassan Diab deserves better from the justice minister”, by Gary Botting, Legal Matters, May 31, 2021
- The Real News “Rattling the Bars” (host Eddie Conway) interview with Roger Clark and Monia Mazigh, June 2, 2021
- “Canada should suspend its extradition treaty with France over the persecution of Hassan Diab”, by Robert J. Currie, rabble.ca, June 3, 2021
- “How France lied about Hassan Diab”, by Michelle Weinroth, Canadian Dimension, June 6, 2021
Thank you for your continued support.
Hassan Diab Support Committee
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/justiceforhassandiab
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JusticeforHDiabb