We are shocked and outraged by the French Court of Appeal decision on 27 January 2021 to refer Dr. Hassan Diab’s case to trial, three years after a lower court set him free because of overwhelming evidence of his innocence. The decision of the Court of Appeal is the continuation of a long odyssey of injustice that Hassan and his family have endured for more than 12 years. Hassan’s French lawyers plan to appeal the decision to France’s Supreme Court.
In 2018, French investigating judges dismissed the case and released Hassan from prison due to lack of evidence. Since then, the case has only grown weaker in light of further exonerating evidence. Another handwriting analysis commissioned by the French Court of Appeal delivered a scathing critique and rebuke of the “Bisotti report” that was used to extradite Hassan from Canada in 2014. Witnesses and documents prove that Hassan was in Lebanon writing his university exams at the time of the 1980 bombing. Hassan’s fingerprints, palm prints and physical description do not match those of the suspect.
After more than 40 years and since no one was indicted, the French Court of Appeal is clinging onto Hassan Diab to keep the case going. The victims of the 1980 Rue Copernic bombing and their families deserve justice, but this cannot be achieved by subjecting an innocent man to a trial. French authorities would better serve the victims and their families by trying to find the true perpetrators of this awful crime.
We are preparing a letter-writing campaign urging the Canadian government to put an end to Hassan Diab’s long and Kafkaesque ordeal. You will soon receive information about this and other actions we are planning.
Hassan, his wife, and children have suffered enough. As the long odyssey of injustice continues, we must continue the fight!
Please Donate to Hassan’s Legal Defence in France
Please make a donation to help cover the cost of Hassan’s ongoing legal defence in France. Your support is vital to protect Hassan’s rights and prevent his wrongful conviction. A donation of any amount is much appreciated and can make a difference!
To donate, please visit the following, page and choose from one of the various ways to donate.
Recent Articles and Statements
- Video of the press conference following the French Court of Appeal decision on January 27, 2021. Speakers were Don Bayne (Hassan’s Canadian lawyer), Alex Neve (former Secretary General of Amnesty International – Canada), Robert Currie (Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie University), and Roger Clark (member of the Hassan Diab Support Committee)
- CBC Radio All in A Day with Alan Neal: Interview with Don Bayne
- CBC article: “French court orders Hassan Diab to stand trial in terrorism case, 3 years after he was set free”
- CTV article: “Order to stand trial in Paris bombing flies in face of evidence, Diab’s lawyer says”
- Article by Alex Neve: “The Hassan Diab Case: Injustice expands, need for redress and reform deepens”
- Article by Michelle Weinroth: “Trudeau: End Hassan Diab’s Ordeal Now!”
- Statement by the International Civil Liberties Monitoring Group: “Prime Minister Trudeau Must Intervene after Outrage Ruling in Hassan Diab’s Case”
- Statement by Independent Jewish Voices: “IJV Stands with Hassan Diab: No Evidence, No New Trial”
Hassan Diab Support Committee