Join our press conference on Dr. Hassan Diab’s situation and the urgent need for the Canadian government to protect Hassan from any future request for his extradition to France.
- What: Press Conference on Hassan Diab
- When: Monday November 14, 2022, at 10:00 am ET
- Where: Online (Zoom)
The International Civil Liberties Monitoring Group (ICLMG) will carry a livestream of the press conference on their Facebook page: HERE
- Don Bayne (Hassan Diab’s Canadian lawyer)
- Roger Clark (Former Secretary General of Amnesty International Canada,1988-1999, and member of the Hassan Diab Support Committee)
- Rob Currie (Professor of Law at the Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie University)
- Tim McSorley (National Coordinator of the International Civil Liberties Monitoring Group)
- Alex Neve (Former Secretary General of Amnesty International Canada, 2000-2020, and Senior Fellow at the University of Ottawa, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs)
- Jo Wood (Member of the Hassan Diab Support Committee)
In April 2023, Hassan will face an unfair trial in France for a crime he did not commit. This is despite overwhelming evidence of his innocence. In 2018, two French investigating judges dismissed all charges against him and freed him unconditionally. All the so-called “evidence” that was presented by France to justify Hassan Diab’s extradition in 2014 has been withdrawn, discredited, or rejected. France has offered NO new “evidence” against Hassan. On the contrary, the alibi evidence, proving that Hassan was not in France at the time of the 1980 Paris bombing, has proven unshakable.
PM Trudeau must honour the words he uttered in 2018: “I think, for Hassan Diab, we have to recognize first of all that what happened to him never should have happened.”
It is essential that we do everything possible to ensure that there will be no further miscarriage of justice. The Canadian Government MUST protect Hassan and refuse any future extradition request from France following the sham trial scheduled for April 2023.